8.30.2012

Like sands through the hourglass…



 So are the days of our lives.  


What am I doing?  No seriously, what am I doing?  I am drafting this blog post at 11:40 p.m., listening to “Blackbird” by The Beatles, full off Taco Bell and contemplating how I am going to burn off the calories that were in the red sauce they put in their burritos.  I am sitting in front of my computer, staring at the blinking cursor and it taunts me like it has many times before.  

I remember back in college when I had decided to drop the education part of my degree plan and focus strictly on English.  That little cursor and I became best friends.  When I would stay up late writing papers and essays about poetry, when I would draft non-fiction stories for the fun of it, and when I would need an outlet for expression that little cursor and I would make the best of the situation and create some awesome writings. 

It was in 2009 when I last remember feeling totally right with the world.  Or should I say “write” with the world.  I was in my last year of college, I had my own column with the university paper, and I had written a play that was picked up for a summer theater production series.  Things were starting to feel right, that I had finally found my calling.  

Then shit got real.  

In the span of 6 months, my father had passed away, my mom’s health started to deteriorate and I was working full time while taking 15 hours worth of classes just to finish my degree.  I was the sole bread winner of the family, and in between probate court and shuffling my mother from doctors appoint to doctors appointments, I had little time to focus on my writing career…or lack thereof at that point. 

I was searching the archives of my old school newspaper, The Shorthorn, and I found my columns and articles. In my opinion, they aren’t half bad.  In my mother’s opinion, they were great!  She couldn’t wait for me to get home every Friday with a copy of the paper to show her my clippings.  My dad had my every publication, every article I had written clipped and on the fridge like a child who brought home a perfect spelling test.  They thought I was brilliant.  The fact that they got to see my name in print makes me smile.  It also makes me feel like when I make my student loan payments each month my degree wasn’t in vain.  

Check me out here

I had a thought tonight.  I love my job and my career.  I couldn’t ask to work for a better company.  But I really miss that feeling of seeing my name printed next to an article that I wrote.  That feeling I would get seeing my ideas and thoughts in the hands of others.  That was such a thrill.  I decided something tonight.  While I sit here, still listening to The Beatles, I made the decision to get back out there.  Even if it’s just one day out of the week, I want to get my thoughts back into print. I am not doing it for the money.  Hell, in college I was paid $7 a column.  That is what I considered drinking money for the weekend.  It’s for the love of the art, the love of the game.  

I am challenging myself to put all those scribbles I have in journals into thoughts and writings and get them out into the world.  I may never be a hard hitting journalist, but I will be published again.      

As God as my witness…

No comments:

Post a Comment