10.01.2012

That Noise in the Basement...

Hello all.  Today (or yesterday if you are reading this a day late) is a historic day.  Well, it's a historic birthday.  The technology of yesterday is over the hill.  My childhood counterpart is weeping inside.  The feeling of growing old has hit me yet again and now my aching knees have a valid reason to give out on me.  

The Compact Disc is 30 years old.  

I was driving to work today when I heard this on the radio.  I almost blacked out behind the wheel (not really, but for dramatics let's pretend I did) and wanted to cry a little.  I remember the days of being an angsty teenager blowing my entire paycheck at Sam Goody or Best Buy purchasing CDs and thinking to myself, "These will never go out of style or become obsolete."  Boy, was I wrong.

I posted the CNN article to Facebook along with the Macy Fact that my first CD purchase was, in excellent musical taste, The Spice Girl's debut album.  That was the first CD that I ever owned.  That was also the same time that the first VHS I ever owned (other than anything Disney related) was Clueless.


Come on ladies, it is the Bible. 

I was on the phone with the best-far-away-friend talking about all the first musical purchases that we had made as kids.  We both agreed that the first CD we ever purchased was Spice Girls (I knew I loved her for certain reasons) and that the first soundtrack we ever owned was to the film Titanic.  But I got to thinking about all the other firsts that I associate with music.  I am not talking about the first cassette tape I ever owned (Michael Jackson's Thriller) or the first tape I got as a gift (TLC's CrazSexyCool), or the first cassette tape that I bought for myself  (Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits...not proud of that one), but the memories that I keep close to my heart because of music.  The songs that when you hear them, memories come flooding back.

If I had to make a mix tape to the music of my life, I know that at least Side A, or Disc 1, or whatever you call it now, would be filled up.  Let's see...where to start...

Track 1: The Andrews Sisters "A Bushel an a Peck."  My mom sang this song to me as a kid.  She would sing it to me to put me to sleep.  It was even my ringtone for her in college.  People can testify to this.
Track 2: Cinderella "A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes." She is still my Disney Princess.  I am just waiting on my Prince Charming to show up with my glass footwear. 
Track 3: Jim Reeves "Bimbo."  This was my mom's favorite song when she was little.  This was also her first record.  I never heard it until I found the old record in a thrift shop.  I see why she loved it. 
Track 4: Rednex "Cotton Eye Joe."  I did a drill team routine to this song when I was in 6th grade.  At the time I felt so cool.  Now when I look back at it, I want to kill this memory with fire.
Track 5: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch "Good Vibrations." Almost much as I want to kill this one, too.  As a kid I did competitive roller skating.  I did a routine to this song.  It involved sequins and glitter.  It was a dark, yet sparkly, time of my life.
Track 6: Oasis "Wonderwall." Because everyone had this as "their song" with someone they used to date in Junior High or High School.
Track 7: The Postal Service "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight." My first kiss was to this song.  Nuff said.
Track 8: Kate Nash "The Nicest Thing." I love this song.  It made me feel like I wasn't the only sappy girl who couldn't get a boyfriend in college.
Track 9: Tom Waits "In Between Love." To the one guy I was in love with in college.  You know who you are if you're reading this.
Track 10: Beyonce "Single Ladies." This song screams all night cram study sessions before Senior Seminar with my two best Lit Chick partners in crime.  Dancing in the kitchen making cup cakes...that's what Lit Chicks do!      
Track 11: Marilyn Monroe "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend." My girl! I don't care what anyone says, Marilyn just rocks.  This is the best choreographed scene she was ever in.  Watch and enjoy.   
Track 12: Eric Clapton "Tears in Heaven." The one song that I listened to on repeat after my dad passed.  One of his favorite artists and this song just makes me think of him. 
Track 13: Johnny Cash "Get Rhythm." It is a Macy Motto.  Get rhythm whenever you can! Listen to this Cypress Hill mash-up.
Track 14: The Smiths "Asleep." It was hard to pick just one sad British pop song from my favorite band of all time.  But this one was just so deliciously emo when I was in High School that it became my anthem.
Track 15: Alanis Morissette "You Learn." Life is such a jagged little pill.  Swallow it down.  This is the anthem for me and the best friend. We have been through so much that the only way to keep on keepin' on is to remember you live and you learn. 

Life is a mixed CD.  I have been saying that since college (literally...look).  I love that going through the songs made me think of the good, bad, and ugly times of my life.  Times where I was at my lowest and the times where I was so happy that I would scream the lyrics to these songs at the top of my lungs.  You can judge me for my music tastes, I do not mind.  I judge myself on some of them.  I still can't believe that I danced to Marky Mark.  That I KNOW is on tape somewhere.  It needs to be destroyed.  If that ever surfaces I pray to the Lord above that it does not fall into the hands of my arch nemesis.

So we meet again, Taylor Swift.  Prepare for battle!

This was a fun little blog tonight.  I appreciate you sticking it out with my and getting to the end.  I know this was a lengthy one, but it was filled with some good tunes.  Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go think of what my Life--Side B remix will include.

NOT THESE GUYS!!! AAAAAHHHH!!!

Night guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment