3.25.2012

If Rhett Butler and Mr. Darcy had a love child...


I tend to like my men how I like my books: Romantic Thrillers who are well versed, no grammar errors, and maybe just a little rough around the edges.

When I think of fictional male characters who I wouldn't mind rewriting myself into a story with, few come to mind. The brooding Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, the lover and the fighter Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, or the impossibly rich Jay Gatsby from, well you guessed it, The Great Gatsby.

But there are two men who stand out in my mind. Two totally different yet equally appealing pieces of eye candy (get it, cause you read about them). One is the perfect gentleman, while the other is the poster boy for scoundrels all over the world. Both are rich, handsome, and when it comes down to it, how could you resist the southern charm of one or the British accent of the other?

That's right ladies. I'm talking about Mr. Rhett Butler and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy.

I do not think that Jane Austen or Margaret Mitchell had it in their minds that the characters they were creating would cause such a stir with female readers everywhere. How could these ladies have known that the men they invented would make dozens of pantaloons and petticoats drop? Let's examine each gentleman a little closer to determine why they are so desirable to lit chicks the world over.

With his southern charm and what I can conclude his chiseled good looks, Rhett Butler is the type of man who knows what he wants, takes what he wants, and doesn't "give a damn" who sees it. He's a man's man, a ladies man, and a rebellious black sheep from Charleston. Mothers, lock up your daughters.

Photobucket
"Is it hot in here, or is it just the burning of Atlanta?"


Mr. Darcy on the other hand is the complete opposite from Mr. Butler. He's well mannered, very stoic and statuesque, loyal, and a total lady killer. Not only does he stir up a frenzy with the young ladies in town, he's got the mothers going after his fortune, too! Husbands, lock up your wives!

Photobucket
"I'm not proud. I'm just written that way."

I suspect that if these literary Lotharios could be balled up into one steamy, dreamy, ooey, gooey, lead literature character, he would be able to rule the world. His wealth, charm and smoldering good looks would be no match for any lady (and some men for that matter). Can you imagine the powers he would possess? What would this dream boat look like?

Photobucket
Oh, Mr. Gyllenhaal. Only in my dreams.




No comments:

Post a Comment