4.15.2012

My Alter Ego Wears High Heels...

Superman has Clark Kent.  Wonder Woman has Diana Prince.  Even Lady Gaga has that Joe Calderone dude-whatever-thing going on.  Why is it that you have to be a super hero or a scary pop singer who wears dresses made out of meat to have an alter ego?  My thoughts exactly.

My close friends know this about me.  When I was a little lit chick, if you had asked me what my favorite cartoon was you wouldn't have been met with the typical Disney or Nickelodeon response.  My all time without a doubt favorite cartoon is a deliciously 80's cartoon that not many people of my generation have heard of.  That cartoon is Jem and The Holograms.

The premise:  Jerrica Benton is the powerful owner and manager of Starlight Music, a company that was built by her father.  Her biggest act is Jem and her band The Holograms.  What you don't know is that Jerrica IS Jem.  I know, what a shocker! With the help of Synergy, a super computer that was built by Jerrica's father, and a snazzy pair of star earrings, Jerrica transforms into Jem with a simple command of "Showtime Synergy" and no one ever catches on to the fact that they are the same rockin' chick.  Not even Jerrica's longtime boyfriend Rio, who has the hots for Jem which leads to a really awkward love triangle kinda-not-really situation.  




I'm not saying that I need to be a record label executive or the front woman to a band to have my own alter ego, right?  But if I was going to create such a different personality for myself, who would she be?

In college I did created one alter ego.  I named her Mia, which stood for "Macy In Action."  Needless to say, if the statement, "Macy isn't coming, but Mia is" you knew that it was going to be a good night.  I never went too far into Mia's background however.  Her character development never really needed to go beyond the fact that she liked Cherry Vodka Sours and had a thing for black nail polish and stilettos.

Mmmm. It tastes like college.

 Mia was the rebellious bad girl that I always wanted to be.  She was fearless and confident, sexy and sultry.  She had all the right moves.  Men wanted to know her.  Girls wanted to fight her.  Bartenders wanted to serve her.  She was everything naughty that I never was.  Hell, everything that I'm still not.

The one problem with creating an alter ego is that it seems to work best in a setting where no one really knows the "real" you.  Having gone to college in my hometown, it was difficult not running into someone who recognized me as me.  There weren't a lot of 6-foot tall blondes running around my college town to throw off the kids I knew in high school.  So when I decided to move, I thought Mia would be moving with me.

Since moving to Austin, I initiated "Operation: Macy Reboot." I wanted the chance to reinvent myself.  I thought of this as a fresh start.  Since I was living in a new city, why not a new Macy.  I lost some weight (40 lbs and going), changed my hair, stopped wearing my glasses (I'm not that blind, people), changed my style and started to find a new me.

Hatching.  Lit Chick.  You get the reference.

The funny thing about it though is that once I got down here and revamped my image, I had no need for Miss Mia.  I had become everything I built her to be.  So, I decided to kill my creation and stop playing Dr. Frankenstein before my alter ego became a monster I couldn't stop.  I will miss Mia.  She and I had some good times.  But I am more interested in seeing what the real me can do.  I am Macy 2.0, Macy Part Deux, Macy: The 2012 Edition.

I just hope Mia stays gone and we don't end up with a Carrie kinda situation.  Can alter egos come back from the dead? Oh dear I hope not.  She would be pissed.

 
 
 Night Guys. 

1 comment:

  1. We all love the real Macy, no alter egos required. Just saying

    ReplyDelete